So I’m in my second year at uni and have finished for the summer (already!) and I’m already starting to miss my uni routine. I have to have some form of routine in my life in order to cope properly. I like to know what I’m doing each day so there aren’t any surprises or unexpected events to freak me out.
I like to make timetables to structure what I’m doing with each day and I like to be productive during the holidays still revising for uni or brushing up my skills before I go back the next term. If I don’t feel I have achieved anything each day I can find my OCD and anxiety creeps up on me and I feel like a failure.
I’m not usually a very happy person in the holidays which nobody really understands apart from the close family. I need structure in my life in order to live and not overload myself. I also don’t like holidays away in hot places – even over 19 degrees becomes too much for me to cope with so I avoid family holidays abroad. I tend to stay in the UK as much as possible!
So here are some tips to help you cope with the holiday season:
- Timetable your life! Try and structure each day so you know what is coming and don’t feel as anxious.
- Hobbies: try and fill your time by distracting yourself. For example by doing physical activity and exercise or even craft activities like drawing, painting, etc. Do more of what you love!
- Meet up: try and meet up with friends and family you might enjoy yourself 😊
- Create to do lists: I’m forever doing this I love them! It helps to structure your time and make sure you get things done that you need to!
- Get outside: I’m going to try and do this more over the summer, there’s nothing better than walking or running out in the fresh air. And if your not into exercising even a picnic outside counts 😉
How do you cope with with holidays or unstructured time off? Any thoughts would be great 😊