Only this morning did I have to ask my mum to cut the label out the back of one of my work tops because I couldn’t stand it. I’m very picky when it comes to clothes. I can’t tolerate v necks or low cut tops. I also like to have my arms covered up no matter what the season. I like to wear baggy/non tight fitting tops and skinny jeans. I like tight trousers but not tight tops which is odd. I can’t stand certain fabrics they can effect my mood and make me unhappy and unable to concentrate. It usually takes me a while to get changed for uni in the morning as I can never find a good looking/relatively fashionable outfit that’s comfy at the same time.
I’m not a fan of dresses but can manage to wear skirts and shorts as long as I have tights on underneath. I’m very self conscious about my legs, arms, stomach, I don’t know why but I have always felt happier with them covered up. I’d happily sit indoor in a coat. I love coats actually as its like a layer of protection when you are walking around and if someone bumps into me it doesn’t affect me as much as it would if they bumped into my actual skin.
I also find new clothes and shoes a nightmare. I can’t wear new clothes straight away. I just think that they are too new and pristine and I have a real mental block when it comes to wearing them straight away. I don’t understand how everyone else can put on something they have just bought straight away!? Makes me cringe. So it takes me a few months to get round to wearing new shoes and maybe a month or two to wear new clothes. I like buying clothes from charity shops (obviously washing them in my own washing detergent before wearing them) as they have already been kind of ‘worn into’ and don’t feel new and crisp.
My top tips for clothing troubles:
- Take clothing out of the packaging: it used to take me so long to do this, however if you can take your clothing or shoes out of their packaging or box and put them somewhere in your bedroom where you can see them I find it helps to get used to them more quickly.
- Wash them a few times: my mum always very kindly washes my clothes a few times if they are new so they smell more familiar to me and they also feel softer.
- Cut out all labels: if it annoys you don’t put up with it, cut it out or wear a top underneath which is what I usually do if it’s not too hot!
- Wear what makes you happy: like if I used to wear a dress out sometimes my mum would let my wear my converses with it. Try and comprise to wear something that keeps you comfortable and happy.
- Changing rooms: I loath, hate and despise shop changing rooms but they are beneficial for helping you see if you like an item of clothing. Yeah I would totally rather order online but if you can face it it’s worth the effort.
Had any clothing nightmares? Also hate labels in the back of your clothes? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below! 😊