I bite my nails. Badly. I’m a naturally nervous person who constantly worries about even the little things in life. That’s my attempt at justifying why I bite my nails 😊 but I also can’t stand the feeling of long nails they irritate me and make my fingers feel heavier and less in control (madness I realise).
I think biting my nails gives me something else to do – they work as a distraction from the sensory world when I can’t think straight. My boyfriend always knows there’s something up when I bite my nails. I’ve decided I’m going to try and let them grow out like a tiny bit. At the moment I have virtually no nails and they are super short which is the way I like them, but I realise that they don’t look very tidy and make me not look my age.
So I’ve been researching how other people have stopped biting their nails and here are my top tips:
- Keep your mouth and hands busy in any way possible. E.g tapping your hands, using a stress ball, exercising, etc
- Study the nails of people who don’t bite their nails for extra motivation.
- Take pictures of your nails and examine them. See how bad they really are and how long you have been living with this problem. Is that what you want your nails to look like?
- Paint your nails or apply false nails ( I hate painted/ false nails so not sure this would work for everyone!) this will keep you distracted and cover your entire nail.
- Try wearing a hair band or bracelet on your wrist to fiddle with when the urge to bite becomes too much. Or ping the hairband against your wrist to remind you not to bite and deter you from it.
- Keep reminding yourself why you are doing it – for healthier and better looking nails
I will keep you updated with my progress I’m determined to try really hard not to bite them! 💅🏻💅🏻💅🏻