I adore blueberries. They are literally my favourite fruit apart from apples which are my number 1. The thing is my OCD always kicks in whenever I try to eat them. It sounds absolutely ridiculous I realise but I have to eat them in fives. So I pick up five blueberries and eat them all at once and then pick up another five and so on. I get very angry if there is less than 5 left at the end of the box and I have to get someone else to finish them off for me. I pick out the five I want with my eyes and have to pick those up to eat.
I don’t know why I do it. It’s almost like a method of controlling an aspect of my life and it’s comforting to me. Yeah I realise this post was very random but I’m sharing my life experiences and this is just one of the things that I do that’s a bit OCD and SPD.
I bite my nails. Badly. I’m a naturally nervous person who constantly worries about even the little things in life. That’s my attempt at justifying why I bite my nails 😊 but I also can’t stand the feeling of long nails they irritate me and make my fingers feel heavier and less in control (madness I realise).
I think biting my nails gives me something else to do – they work as a distraction from the sensory world when I can’t think straight. My boyfriend always knows there’s something up when I bite my nails. I’ve decided I’m going to try and let them grow out like a tiny bit. At the moment I have virtually no nails and they are super short which is the way I like them, but I realise that they don’t look very tidy and make me not look my age.
So I’ve been researching how other people have stopped biting their nails and here are my top tips:
- Keep your mouth and hands busy in any way possible. E.g tapping your hands, using a stress ball, exercising, etc
- Study the nails of people who don’t bite their nails for extra motivation.
- Take pictures of your nails and examine them. See how bad they really are and how long you have been living with this problem. Is that what you want your nails to look like?
- Paint your nails or apply false nails ( I hate painted/ false nails so not sure this would work for everyone!) this will keep you distracted and cover your entire nail.
- Try wearing a hair band or bracelet on your wrist to fiddle with when the urge to bite becomes too much. Or ping the hairband against your wrist to remind you not to bite and deter you from it.
- Keep reminding yourself why you are doing it – for healthier and better looking nails
I will keep you updated with my progress I’m determined to try really hard not to bite them! 💅🏻💅🏻💅🏻
I love the new IKEA advert where the woman falls through the sky and past clouds and onto various beds. I wish I could experience that sensation of falling through the sky whipping through clouds.
I do however have problems with bedding. I find it really difficult to use bedding straight out if the packet – e.g duvet and pillow sets. My mum has always washed them several times to soften them up so they aren’t so stiff and crispy but even then I still struggle to use them because they are new and different. I’m not very good at dealing with change however small it is.
Another problem I have with bedding is other people. E.g if someone else (doesn’t matter who, friend or family,etc) was to sit on my bed with strong deodorant or perfume/aftershave on it really irritates me. In fact it really irritates my nose that it affects my mood badly. So I try and cover my bed with a blanket or sheet that can be washed if I know I’ve invited a friend round and we are likely to hang around in my bedroom or work up there,etc.
But I do love sleeping…when I can get to sleep it’s really great. I know I’m 21 but I’m a typical teenager in the sense that I find it ridiculously difficult to get up in the morning and last week I slept for 12 hours on my day off. That’s not good is it?! I missed the entire morning of a day and still woke up feeling tired! Here’s hoping I will grow out of it….
I have been nominated for this lovely award by blissfullyinformedhippiechick.wordpress.com! Thanks!
The rules are:
- Thank the giver and link their blog to your post.
- Answer the 3 questions given to you.
- Please pass the award on to 6 or more other bloggers of your choice and let them know that they have been nominated by you.
- Include the logo of the award in a post or on your blog please never alter the logo and never change the rules.
- This Award is created to highlight and promote Inspiring Bloggers
- Nominate your 6 favorite bloggers and pass on the award!
The questions I have to answer:
1) Who is your biggest inspiration in life?
- This is hard. But I think I would have to say my mum. She puts up with me 24/7 and never gets annoyed at me. She has been to every medical, therapy and counselling appointment and has stuck up for me when people didn’t believe or understand my SPD. She has helped with my sensory diet and always knows what to say to calm me down. She is also very creative and I think I get my creativity from her. She also has my other siblings and their medical/ learning difficulties to deal with as well and I’m really not sure how she does it. I would literally explode.
2) If you had to walk off into the woods because of…natural disaster, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, take your pick…what 3 items (not people) would you take?
- My glasses. I can’t see a thing without them! Can’t even see my toes when I look down without them so I feel they are quite crucial!
- My phone. Sad I know but then I could check my friends and family were okay, use the inbuilt torch when it got dark, use the compass app, GPS maps, etc.
- Camouflage netting/blanket. Okay random k know but my logic behind this is that I could then blend in with my surroundings without fear of being found by aliens or zombies and keep warm and sheltered in a natural disaster.
3) If you had to choose to go to your version of heaven when you die or be reborn into a new being (human, animal, whatever) over and over, which would you choose?
- Hmmmm. Interesting question. There’s a part of my that thinks you only live once whatever being you are. But then it would be cool to experience a different life as another being… I’ve always wanted to come back as a bird. I would love to have a birds eye view of everything below and live up high.
My questions for my nominees:
- What would you say has been the best day of your life so far?
- If you had to describe yourself in 5 words what words would you choose?
- If you were stuck on a desert island and were allowed only 3 items and one person with you what items and which person would you choose?
Please don’t delete this note: The design for the STARLIGHT Bloggers Award has been created from Yesterday After is a Copyright image you cannot alter or change it in any way just pass it to others that deserve this award.
Copyright 2015 © YesterdayAfter.com – Design by Carolina Russo July 5, 2015
Thanks for more than 100 likes on my blog! 😊😊😊
I used to share a room with my sister until the age of about 12 (bunk beds). We then moved house which was SUPER difficult for me, I got my own room which was amazing but very hard to sleep in for the first few weeks as I had always had the safety of another person in the same room as me at night. I used to and sometimes still do check under my bed and in my cupboard for anything or anyone before I go to sleep.
The odd thing is I can’t go to sleep properly unless it’s pitch black in my room but then I worry when it’s pitch black because I can only hear things and not see them. I can’t deal with electronic lights being on or flashing as they are too bright and distracting when I go to sleep. I usually unplug them if I can or block them with a book, etc.
When the rest of my family were away last month I had to sleep in the house on my own. I put my car keys by my bedroom door so that if anyone came in it would make a loud noise and wake me up. I use my sleep cycle app on my phone (see my previous post on the app) and use the ‘cabin sound effect’ which sounds like a whirring fan/generator which helps me get to sleep and tunes my ears into something else rather than list ring out for creaks and other noises in the night.
How do you deal with the dark? Any good coping mechanisms? Feel free to share them below 😊
Can’t believe I’ve already written 50 posts. Thanks for the support, comments and helpful tips!
I HATE haircuts! With a passion. I think I’ve only ever had one maybe two haircuts in my entire life. And I’m 21 years of age…! Why would you go someone and let someone you don’t know touch your hair and head and neck? And you can’t control really what they do as they are behind you. I would never let anybody else wash my hair.
When my hair gets to long or I can’t manage brushing it my mum trims all the ends in a straight line. It’s not uncommon for me to have a sensory meltdown because of the change in the length in my hair afterwards. I find it hard to cope with haircuts. I didn’t even use to be able to brush my hair. I found it intolerable but now can manage by applying deep pressure when brushing my hair and brushing quickly and with force.
How do you cope with change, haircuts and brushing? Feel free to share any tips you have! 😊