Hi everyone – I wanted to make a collection of achievement badges we might have made during Lockdown 3.0 (UK) but also during the pandemic in general…I’ve done a couple of these posts before (scroll back in my feed to have a look!). Here is my description of each:.-
- Used my fidgets and enjoyed stimming: it’s hard to self-regulate as an autistic person / sensory being so using fidget toys and stimming is really a big achievement because you are essentially helping yourself to cope within this weird old world using these mechanisms. Stimming is such an expression of you as a person and definitely something to be proud of.
- Indulged in my special interests: this is an achievement! Special interests are the BEST. I love hearing other peoples (feel free to comment yours down below!) and I am constantly outstanding by how knowledgable you all are on different topics!
- Went outside (briefly…and within national lockdown guidelines): Going outdoors at the moment can be difficult due to the national lockdown restrictions and the awful weather. But even popping out for a quick walk or stretch in your back garden is an achievement worth celebrating.
- Did a chore or life admin: Now this is huge. Chores and life admin tasks can build up very quickly so even attempting to start one of these is a huge achievement.
- Made time for myself: we’ve all heard it before, self care is important. Making time for yourself can literally be in any way you see fit – just taking time to have a nice bath, read a book, watch your favourite YouTube Channels or TV Shows on repeat is an act of self care.
- Made routines and carried on despite it all: A lot of autistic people I have spoken to have really benefitted from creating routines and schedules within the past year in order to create some daily consistency and sense of normality. I write everything down in my muji weekly planner because my mind cannot hold any information in it so I essentially brain dump constantly into it!
- Spent time with my pet: if you have a pet you’ll how great they are in terms of company and just being (mostly) willing to be hugged and patted 24/7. If you don’t have a pet I know how hard it is currently to not be able to see friends with pets, not be able pet cute dogs you see in queues outside places or always be hearing of people getting new cute puppies and kittens. This sucks but soon I hope we can all get back out to see our furry friends. I am very lucky to be living at home with my family doggo (but I am desperate to one day get a dog of my own: a sausage dog!).
Also: if you have a pet go pat it. Right now. Say it’s a pat from Emily 😉
IMAGE ID: A digital illustration with title ‘Lockdown Achievements’ with ‘Autistic / Sensory Edition) written underneath. 8 different shaped badge designs (mustard yellow, pastel green, purple, light green, light orange, teal and pastel pink) with the title wording in the description above in bold capitals and handwritten joined-up lettering. The shapes of the badges are all different, tag shape, rounded square, arched, triangular, arrow and circular).